Address: 865 Changning Road, Shanghai, China
2004 Natural Science Award of Shanghai (the Peony Award)
2004 NSFC Distinguished Young Scholar
2006, 2011 Excellent Teacher Award from the Chinese Academy of Sciences
J. C. Cao received his PhD in electrical engineering from Southeast University (Nanjing, China) in 1994. Dr. Cao’s major research interest is terahertz semiconductor device and physics.
Dr. Cao is currently the Terahertz Opto-Electronics Group Leader of Key Laboratory of Terahertz Solid-State Technology, Shanghai Institute of Microsystem and Information Technology, Chinese Acdemy of Sciences. He and his group members successfully developed a THz quantum cascade laser and its applications in THz communication and imaging, a Monte Carlo simulation method for THz quantum cascade lasers, and a THz-radiation-induced semiconductor impact ionized model, and successfully explained the absorption of strong THz irradiation in a low-dimensional semiconductor. His current research interests include THz semiconductor devices and their applications.
Dr. Cao received the National Fund for Distinguished Young Scholars of China and the Natural Science Award of Shanghai (the Peony Award) in 2004. He got the Excellent Teacher Award from the Chinese Academy of Sciences twice, in 2006 and in 2011.
1. Hua Li, Wenjian Wan, Zhiyong Tan, Zhanglong Fu, H. X. Wang, Tao Zhou, Z. P. Li, C. Wang, X. G. Guo, and Juncheng Cao*, 6.2-GHz modulated terahertz light detection using fast terahertz quantum well photodetectors, Sci. Rep. 7, 3452 (2017).
2. W. J. Wan，H. Li*，T. Zhou，J. C. Cao*，Homogeneous spectral spanning of terahertz semiconductor lasers with radio frequency modulation，Scientific Reports 7, 44109 (2017).
3. Z. L. Fu*, L. L. Gu*, X. G. Guo, Z. Y. Tan, W. J. Wan, T. Zhou, D. X. Shao, R. Zhang, J. C. Cao, Frequency Up-Conversion Photon-Type Terahertz Imager, Sci. Rep. 6, 25383 (2016).
4. Zheng Liu, Chao Zhang, and J. C. Cao*, The nonlinear optical conductivity resulting from the local energy spectrum at M point in graphene, Phys. Rev. B (2017)
5. R. Zhang, D. X. Shao, Z. L. Fu, H. X. Wang, T. Zhou, Z. Y. Tan, and J. C. Cao*, Terahertz quantum well photodetectors with metal-grating couplers, IEEE J. Sel. Top. Quantum Electron. 23, 3800407 (2017).
6. F. Wang, X. G. Guo, and J. C. Cao, Transient energy relaxation in scattering-assisted terahertz quantum cascade lasers, Appl. Phys. Lett. 110, 103505 (2017).
7. L. L. Gu, X. G. Guo, Z. L. Fu, W. J. Wan, R. Zhang, Z. Y. Tan, J. C. Cao, Optical-Phonon-Mediated Photocurrent in Terahertz Quantum-Well Photodetectors, Appl. Phys. Lett. 106, 111107 (2015).
8. R. Zhang, Z. L. Fu, L. L. Gu, X. G. Guo, and J. C. Cao, Terahertz quantum well photodetectors with reflection-grating couplers, Appl. Phys. Lett. 105, 231123 (2014).
9. F. Wang, X. G. Guo, C. Wang, and J. C. Cao, Ultrafast population dynamics in electrically modulated terahertz quantum cascade lasers, New J. Phys. 15, 075009 (2013).
10. W. Feng, Asya Tawfiq, J. C. Cao, and C. Zhang, Energy-loss rate of a fast particle in two-dimensional semiconductors with Rashba spin-orbit coupling, Appl. Phys. Lett. 102, 052113 (2013).
11. X. G. Guo, J. C. Cao, R. Zhang, Z. Y. Tan, and H. C. Liu, Recent Progress in Terahertz Quantum-Well Photodetectors, IEEE J. Sel. Top. Quantum Electron. 19, 8500508 (2013).
12. A. R. Wright, J. C. Cao, and C. Zhang, Enhanced Optical Conductivity of Bilayer Graphene Nanoribbons in the Terahertz Regime, Phys. Rev. Lett. 103, 207401 (2009).